Now Halloween is over it seems a waste to discard the pumpkin completely! Why not try this lovely soup… with smokey croutons to get the whole family in the mood for Bonfire Night!
- 750g pumpkin, peeled, seeded and cubed
- 2 carrots, coarsely chopped
- 2 onions, cut into wedges
- 2 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large potato, sliced
- 1 litre water
- Just Rapeseed Oil to fry the vegetables
- 2 or 3 cubes chicken stock, crumbled
- 250ml double cream
- 1 1/4 tablespoons ground nutmeg, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- salt to taste
Preparation time: 10 minutes… Cooking time: 30 minutes….
- Preheat oven to 220 C / Gas 7.
- Place pumpkin, carrots and onions in a baking dish or roasting tin. Drizzle with vegetable oil.
- Bake in preheated oven 40 minutes, until soft but not blackened.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, bring water and crumbled stock cubes to the boil. Cook potato in simmering water until soft, about 20 minutes.
- Combine potato and water with roasted vegetables and puree in a liquidiser or food processor until smooth. Return to pan over low heat and stir in cream, nutmeg, pepper and salt. Heat gently; serve.