To make one loaf of this lovely bread….
You will need:
- 1 tbsp quick yeast
- 600g strong white flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 100ml Just Rapeseed Oil, plus extra for greasing
- For the onion topping
- 4 tbsp Just Rapeseed Oil
- 3 large onions, sliced
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 1 tbsp Just Balsamic Rapeseed Oil
- 1 tsp thyme leave
- For the focaccia, combine all the ingredients apart from the oil in a bowl and make a well in the centre. Mix the Just Rapeseed Oil and 300ml of warm water in a jug and pour into the well, stirring until you have a soft dough. If the dough is too dry add a little more liquid, if too wet a little more flour
- Turn on to a lightly floured surface and knead for 10 minutes until elastic. Put the dough in a lightly oiled bowl, cover with oiled clingfilm and leave to rise in a warm place for 45 minutes to one hour.
- Meanwhile, prepare the onions. Heat half the Just Rapeseed Oil in a large pan over a medium heat and cook the onions for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until soft and golden. Add the sugar and vinegar and cook for a further three minutes. Season and set aside.
- Knock back the risen dough to its original size by punching it gently with your fist. Place on a lightly oiled baking sheet and stretch out to a square roughly 28 x 28cm. Cover with lightly oiled clingfilm and leave to rise for another 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 220C/gas mark 7. Make dimples in the dough with your fingertips. Top with the onions and thyme, drizzle over the remaining rapeseed oil and scatter over a little sea salt. Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden.